Monday, February 18, 2008

Jodha Akbar

I absolutely loved it!!! Or let me just say that I loved some parts of the movie so much that I am willing to overlook some of the bad points like the length, the cliches and some of the acting. I think after a long time we have a movie where the two lead characters actually take their own sweet time to fall in love. I love the langurous pace of dialogues in the scenes between Akbar and Jodha, the way he apologizes for sending her to her parents house, the way sometimes they are shown to sit with each other without the need to talk, the way she introduces him to her customs (sindoor!). I loved the picturization of the Jashn-e-bahara song, I think I'll be playing it on loop for the next several days. I love how there are conversations where one side is speaking in pure marwari hindi and the other side in refined urdu. I love the sniggets of history inserted in, like the first 30 mins which is essentially taking us through the rise of Akbar to the discussions on taxes and religion. I actually googled and read a lot on Akbar last night - very interesting to see how secular he was. After a long time I had a happy feeling in me after watching the movie. I could have just sat there longer seeing Akbar and Jodha fall in love. I don't want to compare it to Mughl-e-azam which was a much purer love story, but the pace of the love scenes reminded me of that classic.

This is not a review but just some random thoughts on the movie. I don't think I can ever be a good reviewer as I am too involved in the movie while watching it. I am still starry eyed and can't snap out of the movie - feels like I am 15 again!

No comments: