Tuesday, November 4, 2008

And a happy diwali it was!

Since I whined about Diwali in my previous post, it is only fair I tell you how wonderful my Diwali actually turned out to be. Since diwali was on a Tuesday, we called people over the following Saturday for a diwali dinner.

Tuesday - we lit up diyas all over house and sang aarti along with you tube and I made besan ke laddoo. I have never been an ambitious cook but recently tried my hand at the aforementioned laddoos - small quantity, made about 5 of them but they were really good. Since then I have made these fat-ladden little balls of pleasure twice in a month. Someone really needs to stop me!
Saturday - We had about 15 friends coming over so I made a couple of easy things (read fried potatoes) and bought other things and delegated a few more. We lit lamps again and my bestest friend came over in the evening when we made rangoli all over the house. We had tried our hands at rangoli last year as well and managed a sad looking flower. I think we are getting better every year! We had a great time - everyone enjoyed the food and we played pictionary till late in the night. One of the friends got half a pound of jalebis. Now I love jalebis and haven't been able to find the freshly fried ones you get in Delhi and I must say these ones came pretty close. It is safe to say I had 75% of the said jalebis.
Sunday - After cooking/cleaning the entire day on Saturday, we literally did not get up from the couch all of Sunday. My husband (hence be known as the Mad Scientist or the MS) made scrambled eggs for lunch which we ate while reading the thick New York times in the sun and then lazed around some more. We went for a walk by the river in the evening, found a starbucks and sat there chatting forever.

The weekend was so relaxing and happy that I feel I had a mini vacation and not just 2 days off!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"sigh" .. missing that weekend right now..it definitely was the best two days of the fall semester.. I am so glad you're in the city!

The Foodie said...

Back at you! Did you read me raving about all the girlie shopping trips!!