Friday, November 14, 2008

Cozying up with a cup of tea

I came across this quote today: “Tea is quiet and it takes a quiet palate to appreciate something that calls so little attention to itself.” - James Norwood Pratt in the New Tea Lover’s Treasury. ....and my first thought was that is so true!! I have had a love-hate relation with beverages. Growing up we never had tea, coffee and had limited carbonated drinks. There was no restriction as such but I guess mum just kept us busy with other drinks like lemonade, mango shake, thandai, jal jeera, nishasta (ground almonds and raisins in milk), fresh carrot juice that I guess we never felt the need to have anything else. As a result, today I can't even finish half a can of Pepsi/Coke - it is just too bubbly. I did develop a taste for instant coffee later on but it was like a spoonful of coffee in a glass of milk (I can see all you coffee connoisuers smirking!). When I moved to London (I need to stop using that phrase - feels like I have compartmentalized my life in 3 cities, anyways, I digress), I absolutely abhorred the black coffee you got everywhere and when I didn't understand why would you put cold milk on top as that makes the entire drink cold. I can safely say that my taste of tea and coffee developed only when I started living with S. I am still not a regular drinker of coffee but at least I can now appreciate good coffee and more importantly distinguish between good and bad coffee. Moreover, I am in love with the small cafes in NY and can sit in them for hours (call me for recommendations). When I sink in a comfortable couch in such a cafe with a coffee and a book or a laptop, no one can make me get up for hours. For tea, I have been introduced to a whole new world of mint, jasmine, herb teas which I didn't know existed and tea places which had 300 teas on their menu! I am always trying new flavours and have probably picked up tea from all the countries I have travelled to in the past year including a packet of dried flowers from Prague which suspiciously looked like pot pourri. I am not a big fan of the traditional Indian chai or as S calls it the truckdriver chai, the ginger concoction has definitely provided great comfort during sick days.

Next in my wish list is to buy a colourful tea set with bright coloured mugs and a colourful kettle with a teacozy. As to what will I do with it? Will hope someone more skilled in the kitchen than me can make tea and serve me in it!

No comments: