Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Seasons come and seasons go

Whats your favourite season? Mine have changed depending on where I live. In Delhi, it was definitely spring, when the bitter cold of the winter has ended but there is a lovely nip in the air. You can enjoy the sun without getting burnt and you can wear a smart jacket without bundling up. I think it also helped that my birthday is in Feb, S asked me out in Feb so I always associated the month with gorgeous weather and lots of occasions to celebrate! I can't say I had a favourite season in my next city of abode - London as the weather all through the year was dull and grey apart from one week in August if we were lucky. So when I moved to New York, S thought I had been living in the north pole and hadn't seen the sun in years. I would be chirpy on sunny days and would hound him to go out on sunny weekends or find a good spot on our couch which caught the sun and sit there for hours. The good thing about NY is that it is sunny even if it is 20 degrees below zero.

So going back to the topic at hand, my favourite season here was undoubtedly the summer - apart from perfect 20 degree (Celsius) days, there were so many things to do - free concerts in the park, outdoor seating in restaurants, colourful clothes..there is vibrancy in the air! I would be depressed by the time November came for the thought of 6 cold months. However, I have strange spring in the step this year in spite of the cold. I am liking the cool air on my face and looking forward to the festivities of Christmas with the whole city lit up like a Christmas tree. I am looking forward to wearing my woollen skirts and knee high boots. Do you think there is a chance that maybe, just maybe I am adjusted to the weather here finally? Or will I be eating my words in February when the wind hits me and I stop feeling my fingers and face? I don't know but for now I am happy and soaking in the chill in the air.

I leave you with a picture of me sunning myself.

No comments: